The long-awaited HUMAN 81 DK is now available.
Best viewed in "landscape" mode.
I am thinking of creating a mailing list, for those of you who are interested, with updates to the site, and other random news. For now, contact me if you are interested. If there is enough interest I'll put a form here.
- 3/6: I added the ACC 004 HD parts kit to rebuild Epicure 20/20+ terminal cups yourself. This saves sending them to me, as long as you can do some light soldering and glueing.
- Earlier in 2023? I know I did some things. I just didn't make notes here.
- 12/18: I finally formatted the photos I took when I rebuilt two pairs of fascinatingly similar speakers from the 1960s: A pair of EMI 711A speakers made in the UK, and the Pioneer CS-A31 from Japan.
- 11/22: I finally added some photos to the PRO 002 ME22 (tweeter upgrade for Energy 22 speakers) file.
- 10/6: Introducing the HUMAN 81 DK speaker. A gorgeous high-gloss finished oak veneer eight-inch two-way system.
- I spent the summer repairing, restoring, and upgrading my magnetizer - the most critical tool I own.
- 6/23: Added a photograph of the elusive EPI 101, provided by an owner.
- 6/20: I casually added a photo of two unbuilt cabinets - the new Maple and Mahogany vinyl finish HUMAN model 81 - and promptly sold a pair of each. Both are a delight to behold.
- 5/16: Added crossovers to the Burhoe Green file and (for the PS-8) the ESS Speakers file.
- 5/4: Added a photo of an EPI A240 with new PRO 031 woofers.
- 5/4: Added a photo of a customer's solution to the "midrange problem" in the EPI Time/Energy 250 Series 2.
- 4/25: I added a crossover schematic to the Advance A2 file.
- (I probably forgot to list earlier additions this year!)
- 10/24: I added a couple of photos of EPI 200 speakers with all new parts in them.
- 10/19: I added Dave's K-81 speakers, in cabinets he originally built to house the parts from a pair of EPI T/E 100s.
- 9/7: Here are photos of Russ's K-8110 speakers he just finished.
- 8/19: Added photos Alex sent of his K-3.0 (Epicure 3.0 clone kit) project.
- 8/18: Belatedly posted the photos of Ian's K-61 surround system from 2016.
- 7/12: Added a better photo of the EPI HE 21.
- (I probably forgot to list any more changes - maybe they were small and incremental.)
- 9/3: Added the dimensions of the simple stand that came with the Genesis 44.
- 4/29: Corrected an error in the Genesis 410 crossover schematic.
- 4/1: Added a photo of the ACC 004K (backplate/crossover assembly for the EPI 50)
- I've been forgetting to list updates here. I know it has not been 8 months since the last one!
- 8/19: I added some photos of rebuilt EPI 50 speakers to the K-61E page.
- 8/11: Replaced the photos of the PRO 002 ME3 with slightly better ones.
- 3/18: I uploaded the photos from Rod's 81+ project.
- 8/27: Steve used a HUMAN 81 kit to upgrade some old ElectroVoice speaker cabinets.
- 8/26: Tentatively introducing the HUMAN K-916 line-array kit.
- 6/16: Added Large Advent crossover schematics.
- 4/24: Added the crossover schematic for the Burhoe Blue.
- 12/2: Added the photographs and description of Jimbob's HUMAN K-61 project, making clones of EPI 50 speakers.
- 11/30: Added directions on how to remove the grills from early EPI models to the "How To" section.
- 11/22: New product announcement, of sorts. The HUMAN 61 has been reconfigured as an affordable, vinyl-clad product.
- 10/15: Added a great series of photographs Tom sent me of his K-202/250 project.
- 10/3: Updated the Epicure 1 crossover with all values except some chokes.
- 8/11: Added a tweeter level switch schematic to the Epicure 3.0 crossover diagram that more closely resembles an example on hand.
- 8/10: Added a pair of HUMAN 81-10 speakers to the Specials page.
- 3/31: I rebuilt some Epicure 3 crossovers, so I added the schematic.
- 1/16: Added some information, photos, and an order form for the Fred Locke Stereo FLS 6.
- 1/10: I had to start the year off by reducing the amount I lose on shipping parts orders. I haven't changed what I charge in a few years, and UPS goes up faithfully by 5% a year. C'est la vie.
- 12/19: I added the K-81G rebuild/upgrade kit to the Genesis I, 1+, 1, and 10, and 11 pages and order forms.
- 11/15: A customer sent me a nice photo of the early version of the EPI 110, so I added it (at the bottom of the page).
- 10/31: I added the K-8110G rebuild/upgrade kit to the Genesis II, 2+, 20, and 210, 33 and 44 pages and order forms.
- 7/29: I added some photos and small signal parameters to the PRO 031 10" woofer file, now that its exact production configuration has stabilized.
- It was the Summer of 2016. I held my first-ever sale. People rejoiced.
- 5/17: The 2016 Summer Sale starts now!.
- 5/13: I did the same for the Genesis Physics Model Identification file.
- 5/3: I just spent many, many hours, with help from Ian as always, completely revamping the EPI and Epicure Model Identification file. The goal was to make it far more useful to the fan of the brand trying to identify unknown speakers. It now features photos of all the products, and the mobile version is actually useful, finally. I retained the old, text-only version, partly for my own internal (almost daily) use, and linked to it at the bottom of the EPI/Epicure navigation drop-down section. The file now loads a lot slower, but is far more informative. I am considering breaking it up a bit - perhaps just into two files, one with all the speakers that featured concave dome tweeters, which is roughly half of it, and another with the rest of the products. Feedback on this idea - and the revamp in general - is appreciated!
- 4/11: Saving this header blurb, since it should be visible for a year or two: "Cool thing: check out the last photo in this auction". (The auction linked has ended, but the speakers have been relisted.)
- 3/25: I have a couple more unannounced goodies for you in store, but for now, here is Jimbob's C2+ center channel kit project, and a nice photo of a pair of Epicure 20+ speakers with all new HUMAN parts.
- 3/17: I think I just fixed up the K-81E and K-202E pages (no photo on the K-81E yet) all proper-like, and made everything that should link to them do so, instead of the DIY pages.
- 2/29: Some slight updates to the Epicure 20 and 20+ crossover schematics.
- 2/9: Today I added photos of the QT Zero in walnut.
- 2/2: Added photos of another HUMAN 81+ kit to the DIY Gallery.
- 1/27: I documented some "overlap" between the EPI 101, 110, and 150 speakers.
- 1/20: I updated the incomplete specifications for the Genesis 7, 11, 22, 33, 44, and 66.
- 1/7: I have been working on adding a "documents" page (as yet unlinked), with copies of various paperwork I usually include with orders available.
- 12/17: Probably before this date, I added the Epicure 3.0 kit to the DIY product range.
- 11/20: You won't really notice, but I culminated two and a half month's work on the order form system today. The customer's confirmation email now includes a printer-friendly html attachment, and the processing on my end creates a nice attractive packing list (which was the primary goal of this project).
- 11/19: I added the instructions for oiling the Epicure 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 speakers upon first bringing them home.
- 11/12: Announcing the PRO 002 MP tweeter, designed to be a drop in upgrade for the ubiquitous Peerless soft dome tweeters used in many speakers.
- 10/28: Added a tentative schematic of the Epicure 1 crossover.
- 8/25: I have extended the printer-friendly function to the price and parts lists, and all the back links at the bottom work properly. I think.
- 8/22: I have been working to create a printer-friendly version of the site, with minimal headers and footers, uncolored link text, and reduced image sizes (for now). In order to make my life easier I have added a link to this version at the very bottom of each page. Feedback is welcome.
- 8/17: Added the scan history of an international package (destination Australia) to the foreign ordering information page.
- 8/4: Added a description and some photographs of a Music Master horn I repaired for a recording studio.
- 8/4: Added an additional file to the "How to ship speakers" article, covering how to ship large speakers by motor freight.
- 6/3: Added a handful of photographs Brian came up with to his 81+ kit project page.
- 5/26: Added photos of some JBL 18" and 15" PA driver repairs and my work on a pair of JBL Minuets to the (Speaker Repairs - Brands Serviced - JBL) file.
- Early May: It took Google a while to crawl the site examining it for responsiveness to mobile device screen sizes, but here is a graph showing the results of Ian's and my work on the project:
- 4/26: I have finally finished modifying Ian's intensive illustrated 1000 kit story to fit this screen. Enjoy!
- 4/22: Ed sent photos of his Douglas fir Genesis 3s.
- 4/10: One more set of HUMAN 61 DIY kit photos gets a home, and the new products (2015 Line) page got a facelift.
- 4/7: I added Keith's K1000 project photos, and 13 more to Ed's spherical speakers.
- 4/4: It took ages to figure out a way to do it, but the DIY Gallery is now fully mobile-friendly. Try it and see!
- 3/28: The (relatively) mobile-friendly "responsive" functionality is now live, and there's no turning back the future, it is here to stay. Good luck!
- 3/25: Went live with the all-new CSS-based drop down menu navigation system, with thanks to iaN for his help. Let me know if any of the links are broken! Next up: the "responsive" version?
- 3/13: Another pair of 61s and another pair of 88-41s added to the DIY Gallery.
- 3/4: Along the way I've been adding some more photos of customer projects. Today three more pairs of HUMAN 61 kits are featured. Just use the link below.
- 3/3: After much consideration and plugging away, I convert the Do It Yourself "gallery" page to a thumbnail version.
- 2/25: I accidentally release the QT-Zero speaker system with no fanfare.
- 1/22: How to rebuild a pair of ProAc Studio 1 speakers as HUMAN 61 speakers.
- 1/21: A brief explanation of why I don't provide detailed cabinet plans for DIY projects.
- 1/9: Added the story and photographs of Ed's 202/250 kit project.
- 12/10: What I did this morning - wrote a rough draft of my plan to save Radio Shack, which forced me to start using the beta version of my new Essays portal. Expect broken links and typographical errors!
- 12/5: Added more information about the ACC 001 10 uF capacitor, and a photo.
- 12/4: Added the ACC 004 H, the rebuilt, improved backplate and crossover assembly for the Epicure 20 and 20+.
- 10/15: Finished my HUMAN K202+ kit project and loaded the rest of the photos!
- 10/13: Added the original brochure cabinet oiling instructions for the Epicure 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.
- 10/12: Changed the drop down menu headers to two lines of text, and made the link colors darker. And stopped them from being underlined.
- 10/9: Fixed some egregious typos and added a bit about making cardboard mock ups at the DIY cabinet design page.
- 10/8: Added photos of an ESS AMT tweeter rebuild.
- 10/1: Added some photos of speakers I repaired to the Cizek Audio and Vienna Acoustics pages.
- 9/30: Started a serious revamping of the Specials page.
- 9/27: Added some photos of an Epicure One - where it all started.
- 9/23: I build a pair of HUMAN K202 kits into what I call my 202+s (to be continued).
- 8/25: Liveblogging my projects: I convert my ten year old C3 into a C3+ with two saws and some glue.
- 8/7: Added new color photographs of the Silent Speaker II in black and maple.
- 7/30: A few random tweaks - rearranged the Genesis and EPI/Epicure main menus a bit, and added a bit to the speaker positioning "how to" article. It really is time I put together the "essay portal" I've been planning!
- 7/22: Added automated parts pricing to all the EPI and Epicure speaker files. No, really, it took all of two afternoons and an evening. I wonder how many I broke?
- 7/18: Added automated parts pricing to all the Genesis Physics speaker files, and the part files. No, really, it took all afternoon! Now I dread doing the hundred-odd EPI models.
- 7/8: Added a handful of photos to the HUMAN 81+ file - check them out! Glamour full body shots to follow...
- 6/21: Archiving this header blurb. I absolutely have to share this: A bunch of seven-year-old kids add 2 and 3 to get 5 - using pure Boolean logic.
- 6/21: Added the ACC 004 E backplate, crossover, and wiring assembly for the Genesis V-6.
- 3/29: Added a sneak preview of the new 81+ cabinet. I have ordered ten pairs in both natural and black lacquered oak, due for delivery in late April.
- 1/22: Uploaded scans of the rest of the "Brown Booklet".
- 1/13: Added the text of a magazine ad for the EPI 200.
- 1/10: Added the text from the original "Brown Booklet" to the EPI 50 and EPI 100 files.
...And the EPI 150, EPI 201, EPI 202, EPI 400, EPI 602, and EPI 1000... phew!
- 1/7: Added wire colors to the Epicure 5 crossover schematic.
- Updated the information and photo at the EPI reproduction grill badge file.
- Through the summer and into October 2013, I have been making massive edits that matter not a whit to the user, just to aquiesce to Google's robot's strange demands. Most recently, the painstaking chore of editing individual "meta" tags across the site.
- 8/27: Added a photo of another lovely pair of HUMAN 81+ kit speakers - from Tasmania!
- 8/11: Archiving this header blurb. The outgoing Commander of the ISS singing "Space Oddity". In space.
- 6/13: Added a new photo of iaN's 1000 kit project speakers, in their new home.
- 5/17: Finally gathered up some photos and text about some recent repair work, featuring Infinity, Beovox, Motorola, Polk Audio, Vox, KEF, Boston Acoustics, Rockford Fosgate and some miscellaneous speakers.
- 11/18: Improved the "links" page to include a lot more good stuff.
- 11/10: Added a brochure photo of the EPI A240 (scroll down to the bottom of the page).
- 11/7: Corrected a tyop in the previous entry.
- 11/5: Added a photo of the K202 DIY kit, configured to rebuild a pair of EPI 180s.
- 11/2: Combined the text and image files for all HUMAN Speakers complete products, now that you all have broadband.
- 9/6: Added some photos of a pair of beautifully restored Genesis 210s.
- 8/30: Added some text annd explanations and links to the ACC 001, ACC 002, and ACC 003 parts. No big deal.
- 8/27: Added a higher resolution photograph of the Direct Acoustics Silent Speaker II.
- 8/16: Added images to the Epicure 5, Epicure 1.0, EPI MT3, EPI 110, Burhoe Crimson, and Advance V files.
- 8/8: Created a page for Infinity speakers I have repaired.
- 8/6: Congratulations to Mars Curiosity, NASA, and JPL! It's on every page. Along with a link to a great song. For a day or two.
- 8/5: Reorganized the "Other Speaker Repair" section to improve navigation, and to prepare for adding more photos and information.
- 8/3: Added (simple) crossover schematics with wire colors to a few EPI Time Energy models.
- 7/31: Moved the very popular "Audi" folder to a subdomain to stop it from interfering with my user log data files.
- 7/16: I joined New Hampshire Made, and added their logo to the page footer:
- 7/12: After three weeks of debugging, and writing new scripts and files for the order forms, part lists, and price lists, the "new" site is live. If the "301 redirects" in my .htaccess file worked as advertised all visitors to the site would be served the new version of everything. But they don't yet. 7/14: They do now!
- 6/20: I just spent about 60 hours creating a parallel site which will enable me to improve the user experience (haha) at will. If you are curious, and care, go to the new home page and bang on it a bit. It's still "beta", and I am trying to find any bad links there. Peace out, Huw.
PS - The links on price lists, part lists, and order forms all still point to the "old" site. All the "new" pages show the HUMAN Speakers logo above the drop-down menus. And many thanks to those who have already found some errors!
- 5/30: Added photographs of a new PRO 027 midrange for the Epicure 3.0.
- 4/27: Added two more crossover schematics for the Genesis 320.
- 4/22: Added some encouragement for local customers to come here for speaker services, complete with a table of bad directions.
- 4/12: Added a crossover diagram for the EPI 100 showing a common color scheme and configuration that confuses some.
- 3/30: Added some more information and photographs of the Advance Speaker Korp products.
- 3/9: Re-photographed and rewrote the "how to" instructions for the ACC 004 series of products, and added a better photo of the ACC 004 B to the "terminal repair" overview.
- 3/6: Added the "K-81AP" special edition for rebuilding the Advent Prodigy tower to the K-81 page and the DIY price list.
- 3/5: Added the "K-81E" special edition for rebuilding older EPI models to the K-81 page and the DIY price list.
- 2/20: Rolling out the PRO 002 MG new drop-in replacement for most Genesis Physics Corporation tweeters.
- 2/15: Added new pictures of the EPI A140 courtesy of eBay seller laurenceparker and his cat.
- 2/14: Added slightly some slightly better pictures to the ACC 004x terminal repair file.
- 2/10: Added information on "how to" set up speakers for the best sound possible.
- 2/8: Added the Genesis logo to the parts and price lists.
- 7/24: The Direct Acoustics Silent Speaker II is featured in Stereophile magazine.
- 5/15:HUMAN Speakers is proud to take on manufacturing and distribution of the Direct Acoustics Silent Speaker II by Winslow Burhoe.
- 4/8: Added a better photograph of the EPI A110.
- 12/28: A couple of photographs and a link to this hobbyist's website about his K1000 project added to the DIY section.
- 12/8: Added a much better photo of the Model 81 in oak vinyl .
- 11/26: A few photographs of a demo version of the 81+ I built for auditioning in the factory.
- 11/25: Added another DIY kit photograph sent in by a customer.
- 11/18: Added new glamour shots of the Model 88-41.
- 10/28: Updated the Model 81 text to make life easier for visitors from Wired magazine.
- 8/4: Added a few miscellaneous items to the Specials.
- 6/1: Added Oak Genesis 3's to the Specials list. (Sold as of November 2010)
- 8/13: Added a photo of the parts in the HUMAN 81 kit.
- 5/1: Added a picture of the Epicure 1, 2, and 3 rebuilt midrange, PRO 026.
- 2/15: Russ finished his 88-41 kits and sent me some pictures of the wonderful results.
- 2/12-17: A customer devoted to the cause kindly loaned me a treasure trove of old EPI Magnus-era and Automotive brochures, allowing me to add or update information on these products::
- 2/5: Added better photographs of the EPI 202.
- 1/22: Thanks to friendly eBay sellers, nice photographs of the EPI Magnus A10 and EPI A500.
- 1/9: Added a great photo of an EPI magnus A12.
- 12/30: Filled out some of the information on EPI/Epicure grills, Genesis Physics grills, and reclothing grills.
- 12/15: Added the crossover schematic for the EPI Magnus HE19.
- 11/28: Replaced the poor image of the Genesis Physics 210 with a photograph of a pair I just put new parts in for a customer.
- 11/27: Added a nice photograph of the EPI Time/Energy 100 Series 2 speaker.
- 11/1: Added a nice photograph of the EPI Time/Energy 320 Series 2 speaker.
- 10/21: Attempted to update the "My Gear" file, with a nifty graphic to make things clearer!
- 10/18: A new, better photograph of the HUMAN 81 in black vinyl.
- 9/24: A nice photograph of the "later" EPI 100 (matches the "A" series) from a friendly auction seller.
- 9/20: New photographs of a pair of 81 kits from the owner.
- 9/12: A brutal makeover, adding automated menus to all files.
- 8/30: Having acquired a better digital camera, I am gradually improving the photographs in many places on the site. Today I did most of the "M" and "ME" tweeters, and some EPI replacement woofers. I look forward to eventually replacing all the fuzzy, grainy images you have suffered with!
- 8/29: Two new photographs of the EPI A300 from a friendly eBay seller.
- 8/28: Added one more (finished) picture of the EPI 1000's I rebuilt.
- 8/21: Killed some spare time making a new "graphic" of the InHUMAN speaker.
- 8/15: Added a nice photo of the EPI Magnus A1100 speaker.
- 7/27: Added the crossover schematic for the EPI T/E 320 (and perhaps other models).
- 7/24: I rearranged the HUMAN Speakers product guide, also reintroducing the HUMAN QT-2+ six inch two way speaker.
- 6/29: I did a wholesale reconstruction of the "other speaker brands" menus and structure - I hope I didn't strand any files or images!
- 6/27: Added pictures of the new version of the HUMAN Model 61speaker (in black).
- 5/12: Added pictures of a customer's HUMAN 81 Kit project.
- 5/12: Added a nice picture of the EPI 140C speaker.
- 1/18: Instructions for adding braces to speaker cabinets to the "How To" section.
- 12/27: Finally added a picture of the PRO 002 ME5 tweeter.
- 7/15: Documenting my project to make a C3 center channel for my living room.
- 7/3: added pictures of the rebuilt PRO 031 woofer and PRO 014 B passive radiator used in the Genesis 410.
- 5/31 & 6/14: A pair of 88-41's are being built in these customer photos.
- 2/22: I added important handling and disposal information for lead flashing (or shot).
- 2/16: A customer shares his EPI 1000 kit project with us.
- 2/7: An illustrated story showing the overhaul of my EPI 1000 speakers.
- 2/1: A picture of the EPI 150 series 2/3 speaker.
- 4/7: New photos of the EPI Magnus 1200.
- 4/5: New file and photos of a previously unlisted speaker, the EPI Microtower Bookshelf 2.
- 3/5: Great photos of the EPI A240 speaker.
- 2/20: A nice photo of the Burhoe Blue loudspeaker.
- 1/28: Added some photos of the EPI 500, and also the passive radiator used in it.
- 1/27: Some great photos of some late Epicure models from the original brochure. There is a group photo, and individual shots to be found of the Epicure 1, Epicure 2, Epicure 3, Epicure 4, and Epicure 5.
- 1/24: Added a photograph of the ACC 004C "double module" crossover upgrade.
- 12/18: A photo of the current configuration of the HUMAN Model 81.
- 11/21: Photos of the EPI Time Energy 70 Series 2 added.
- 7/16: Another nice photo, this time of the Epicure 5.
- 7/11: Debuting the "Owner Information" menu and associated files, including replacement part details for HUMAN Speakers. The "Other Speakers" menu has been relegated to an option in the "Home" menu to save screen space.
- 7/10: Added a few photographs of the EPI CD-50, the Epicure 4, and the EPI LSR 12 car radio/cassette player.
- 6/18: Added new photographs of the Genesis 6 and the Genesis V-6.
- 5/28: Altered the Genesis and EPI/Epicure part number/where used files to be dynamically generated.
- 5/14: Nice photos of the EPI 180; and original Genesis 3 cartons.
- 4/19: Rewrote the ACC 004 crossover/terminal replacement file, added it to speaker files and order forms.
- 4/10: New, better brochure photographs of the Epicure 3.0.
- 4/9: A new photograph of the Epicure 4 speakers with HUMAN parts.
- 3/30: A friend sent me a brochure on the Advance Speaker Korp A-II so I put the picture and specs up.
- 3/20: A photograph of the EPI HE 17.
- 3/18: Added a new section: the "How to" files, which will include instructions for installing my products and for various projects.
- 3/14: Two nice photographs of the EPI A500.
- 3/5: Tried to make the EPI and Epicure product files listing easier to use.
- 3/3: New photographs of the EPI Magnus A1200 and the EPI T/E 70.
- 2/23: Rescanned some EPI/Epicure brochure photos and most of the Genesis photos. Also added a couple of new photos to the Genesis Gallery.
- 1/28: Added a nice photograph of the EPI A70 speaker.
- 1/23: Added photos provided by customers: Genesis 66 Series 2; Epicure 2.0; and a pair of HUMAN 61 in their new home.
- 1/22: Rebuilding a pair of Acoustic Research 3a speakers, illustrated.
- 12/19: Here is the new 3 ½" round DIY tweeter, the PRO 002 M.
- 12/17: Oh boy. The new "ME" tweeters are appearing all over the place:
- 11/21: New photo of the EPI Magnus 1100 speaker.
- 11/18: New photos of the Epicure 2 and CD 55 speakers.
- 10/16: Added to the copyright information for auction sellers.
- 10/9: Added a better photo of a pair of Genesis Basic Loudspeakers
- 10/1: The latest news about Genesis (Advanced) Technologies.
- 5/24: Added better info and photo for the Epicure M1 power amplifier
- 5/24: New brochure photos of the EPI 70, 120, 200, and 350.
- 4/23: Added a basic file about Advance Speakers in the Genesis section.
- 4/20: Added some photos of the FLS 4 speaker (built by Genesis).
- 4/12: Added a much better photo of the Genesis 10.
- 3/31: Rearranged the whole site into "frames" to speed file loading, and offer a wider range of navigation from any point.
- 3/26: Improved the 404 "file not found" support (you should never see this).
- 3/24: I removed some of the "extra" drop down menus to speed up file loading
- 3/21: Whatever happened to Genesis Technologies?
- 3/16: Linked the part order forms to the speaker model files
- 3/16: Information on the EPI 201A speaker model
- 3/12: Some information on Fred Locke Stereo speakers by Genesis
- 3/3: Implemented a search function
- 1/9: Photos of the EPI 350
- 1/1: Created this update tracking file!
7 Kelsey Road, Lee, New Hampshire 03861