The long-awaited HUMAN 81 DK is now available.
Best viewed in "landscape" mode.
Replacement part number PRO 001
This is a new, improved replacement for the 8" woofer used in the following EPI/Epicure models:
200, 200B, 200C, 200V, A200, epicure 15
180, 201, 202, 250, 350, epicure 20/20+
1000, epicure 1000
T/E 100, T/E 100+, T/E 100/2, T/E 250/2, T/E 280/2
The number on the identifying sticker, if it has one, might be 003, 0004, 1145, 1184, 0948, or 2580.
What's different and why:
- Butyl rubber surround: increased longevity, lower resonant frequency (some early EPI woofers were made this way).
- Treated cone: seals speaker system better, more attractive, less change due to humidity (most later Genesis woofers were made this way).
- Treated cloth dust cap: improves linearity, looks better than the exposed wires on most older woofers.
- Larger diameter "spider" (rear suspension): allows greater linear travel, removes weak link.
- Acoustically inert dense EVA "gasket" on front: makes packaging simpler, more attractive.
- Round magnet structure: identical in weight and function (most later EPI woofers were made this way).
- Extended pole piece: not visible, but improves linearity.
What's the same and why:
- Voice coil: the long voice coil winding is critical to linearity, and its high inductance is part of why the woofer does not need crossover circuitry to roll off the high frequencies.
- Magnet weight and strength, field guide (yoke) plates: again, a critical part of the design
- Cone material, weight, and density: the exact design of the cone is also part of how the woofer rejects high frequencies on its own.
- Rear suspension compliance: the larger spider acts exactly like the smaller original one.
- Free air resonance: although not a "part", the low Fs is important to the extended low bass response.
7 Kelsey Road, Lee, New Hampshire 03861