1987 - 2017: Thirtieth Anniversary!
Best viewed in "landscape" mode.
Replacement part number PRO 007
This is an improved replacement for the 6" woofer used in the following speakers:
601 & 602 (front woofer), A70, A140, LS 641
epicure 5, 11, 14, 400+, epicure 1.0, 2.0
T/E 70, T/E 70/2
The number on the identifying sticker, if it has one, might be 1028, 1091, 1142, 1143, or 1155.
What's different and why:
- Butyl rubber surround: increased longevity, lower resonant frequency (some early EPI woofers were made this way).
- Treated cone: seals speaker system better, more attractive, less change due to humidity (this was the goal of the Lexan cone on the Time/Energy models).
- Treated cloth dust cap: looks better than the exposed wires on most older woofers.
- Sealing gasket attached to rear mounting surface: easier to use (discard your old gasket).
- Cardboard "gasket" on front: makes packaging simpler, more attractive.
- Round magnet structure: identical in weight and function (most later EPI woofers were made this way).
- Extended pole piece: not visible, but improves linearity.
What's the same and why:
- Voice coil: the long voice coil winding is critical to linearity, and its high inductance is part of why the woofer does not need crossover circuitry to roll off the high frequencies.
- Magnet weight and strength, field guide (yoke) plates: again, a critical part of the design
- Cone material, weight, and density: the exact design of the cone is also part of how the woofer rejects high frequencies on its own. The one exception to this are the Time/Energy woofers, which had a foam-backed Lexan cone that cannot be duplicated. Luckily they were trying to make them sound exactly like the paper cone woofers they replaced.
- Rear suspension compliance and travel: allows full linear cone excursion
- Free air resonance: although not a "part", the low Fs is important to the extended low bass response.