1987 - 2017: Thirtieth Anniversary!
Best viewed in "landscape" mode.
Replacement/repair part number PRO 006
This is an improved replacement for the 8" woofer used in these Genesis Physics loudspeaker systems:
Its internal reference number (on the sticker, if it has one) is SW9P.
What's different and why:
- Butyl rubber surround: increased longevity, lower resonant frequency (the top of the line Genesis 410 and 66/2 were made this way).
- Sealing gasket attached to rear mounting surface: easier to use (discard your old gasket).
- Acoustically inert "gasket" on front: makes packaging simpler, more attractive.
- Round magnet structure: identical in weight and function (most later Genesis woofers were made this way).
- Extended pole piece: not visible, but improves linearity.
- There is no longer a cardboard ring on the back full of epoxy. The basket I use does not need this to prevent the steel from "oil can" behavior at high power levels
What's the same and why:
- Voice coil: the long voice coil winding is critical to linearity, and its high inductance is part of why the woofer rolls off so smoothly in the high frequencies.
- Magnet weight and strength, field guide (yoke) plates: again, a critical part of the design
- Cone material, weight, and density: the exact design of the cone is also part of how the woofer rejects high frequencies on its own.
- Treated cone: seals speaker system better, more attractive, less change due to humidity.
- Treated cloth dust cap: looks better than the exposed wires on most older woofers.
- Rear suspension compliance and travel: allows full linear cone excursion
- Free air resonance: although not a "part", the low Fs is important to the extended low bass response.
Here is a picture of the parts I use to build it:
7 Kelsey Road, Lee, New Hampshire 03861